1. Technical assistance for business environment and investment climate improvement
The ICR Facility offers specific and targeted technical assistance of up to 90 expert days for business environment and investment climate improvement initiatives. Technical assistance is provided at the economy-wide, sectorial and value chain level based on requests.
What are the areas for Technical Assistance offered?
- Business Environment Reform
Identification, design, implementation and evaluation of business environment reforms in areas such as business registration and licensing, investment policy, and tax administration, among others;
- Business Environment for Sustainability
Promotion of sustainability in the business environment through innovative approaches such as social entrepreneurship, climate-smart investment, inclusive businesses or gender-specific reforms, among others;
- Public-Private Dialogue (PPD)
Strengthening the PPD processes and its key stakeholders for more impactful and sustainable development policies.
2. Strengthening national and sub-regional development finance institutions
DFIs play a crucial role in improving the business and investment climate in their respective region. They have a role as catalysts to leverage additional SDG-related investment of companies. The ICR Facility supports selected national or sub-regional development finance institutions (DFIs) with tailor-made capacity building. Capacity building can be provided in three areas:
- Capacity Building in developing and delivering specific products
e.g. green bonds, funds-of-funds, credit insurance, buyer/ supplier credit;
- Using blended finance instruments and building investment pipelines
by peer exchange, facilitated business incubation programs, dissemination of market information to participants (match making, market briefings etc.);
- Strengthening institutional structures
with regards to monitoring, evaluation, ESG standards, reporting and governance.
The ICR Facility further supports a greater number of DFIs through the dissemination of good practices and lessons learned from tailor-made capacity building.
3. Compile and mainstream lessons learned and good practices
Through the activities and lessons learned in Component 1 and Component 2 the ICR Facility identifies, compiles and shares good practices for improving the business environment and investment climate. The ICR Facility supports communication among peers who are active in business environment and investment climate reform. Public and private actors will have innovative tools at hand to create a more conducive, sustainable and inclusive business environment. This includes:
- Developing, compiling and sharing knowledge products
like policy briefs or tools for policy-makers and practitioners;
- Promoting the debate via interactive communication
like blog posts, social media, and webinars;
- Enabling peer-to-peer learning
by sharing knowledge and giving advice on innovative instruments.